Doctors Employed in the Public Sector
AMA Tasmania provides services and works closely with two registered unions. The Tasmanian Salaried Medical Practitioners Society (TSMPS) is our state registered union for doctors who are employees. AMA Tasmania is also associated with the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation (ASMOF) which is the peak union representing employed doctors across Australia.
Full time & Part time Specialists and non-specialists conditions of employment in the public sector
Conditions of employment are detailed in three documents. Two are ‘Agreements’ and one is an ‘Award’.
For interpretation, the two Agreements override Award conditions to the extent of any inconsistency. The most recent 2015 Agreement overrides the older 2009 Agreement to the extent of any inconsistency. The Agreements and awards are the:
- Salaried Medical Practitioners Interim Agreement 2015 - T14294 - Variation Market Allowance (pdf, 1.0 MB) - T14373
- Salaried Medical Practitioners (AMA Tasmania / DHHS) Agreement 2009 (pdf file)
- Medical Practitioners (Public Sector) Award (pdf file)
Officers in the public sector
Medical Specialists and non-specialists who are appointed as ‘Officers” in the public sector are appointed by the Premier with conditions determined in the letter of Appointment.
Other important legislation impacting on employment conditions
- State Services Act 2000
- Long Service Leave (State Employees) Act 1994
- Industrial Relations Act 1984
- Work Health and Safety Act 2012
- Anti Discrimination Act 1998
Other helpful documents
- AMA National Code of Practice - Hours of Work, Shiftwork and Rostering for Hospital Doctors (pdf file)
- AMA Doctor's Guidelines for Implementing Flexibility (pdf file)
- AMA Management Guidelines for Implementing Flexibility (pdf file)