Promoting a professional ethical relationship between doctors and industry
AMA Position Statement on Medical Practitioners' Relationships with Industry 2012
The AMA today released its revised Position Statement on Medical Practitioners’ Relationships with Industry.
The AMA Position Statement on Medical Practitioners’ Relationships with Industry 2012 provides guidance to doctors on maintaining ethical relationships with industries including the pharmaceutical industry, medical device and technology industry, other health care product suppliers, health care facilities, medical services such as pathology and radiology, and other health services such as pharmacy and physiotherapy.
AMA President, Dr Steve Hambleton, said today that doctors are trained to think independently, to make decisions, and to discharge their duty of care in the best interests of the patient.
“The history of health care in Australia has been marked by close collaboration between doctors and industry,” Dr Hambleton said.
“This collaboration has extended to research and education, and it has contributed beneficially to the quality of health care that Australians receive.
“Doctors have a responsibility to ensure that their interaction with industry is consistent with their patients and towards society at large.
“Doctors must safeguard their clinical independence and professional integrity from the influence of third parties, including industry.
“It is important to recognise potential conflicts of interest and develop processes to deal with them.”
The Position Statement covers the following areas:
- Medical education;
- Managing real and potential conflicts of interest;
- Industry sponsored research involving human participants, including participation in post-marketing surveillance studies;
- Meetings and activities organised independent of industry;
- Meetings and activities organised by industry;
- Hospitality and entertainment;
- Use of professional status to promote industry interests;
- Remuneration for services;
- Product samples;
- Dispensing and related issues; and
- Relationships involving industry representatives.
The AMA Position Statement on Medical Practitioners' Relationships with Industry 2012 is at https://ama.com.au/node/5421
13 December 2012
CONTACT: John Flannery 02 6270 5477 / 0419 494 761
Kirsty Waterford 02 6270 5464 / 0427 209 753
Published: 13 Dec 2012