AMA welcomes new President & Vice President
The AMA has elected a new President, Dr Omar Khorshid, and Vice President, Dr Chris Moy at its National Conference on 1 August 2020. This follows the conclusion of the two-year term of President Dr Tony Bartone and Vice President Dr Chris Zappala.
Dr Khorshid said his priorities for his term as AMA President are to:
- Reaffirm the AMA as a strong, independent voice for health, with a critical role to hold governments to account, particularly on their handling of COVID-19;
- Restart efforts to address financial sustainability of the Nation’s public and private health system, and to fully utilise and develop the quality and capacity of public and private care;
- Halt the slide towards funder directed managed care;
- Promote the value and cost effectiveness of high quality General Practice at the core of the health system and as a gateway to more expensive care;
- Foster better gender equity within the leadership of the medical profession
- Seek action from governments and the community on important public health issues, including climate change and climate health impacts.
You can watch a recording of the 2020 AMA National Conference here.
Published: 05 Aug 2020