Careers at the AMA
Why Australian Medical Association (AMA)?
AMA, as the peak health advocacy organisation, exists to advance the health of the community and the professional interests of doctors.
The Federal Secretariat of AMA contributes to the achievement of this Mission through reinforcing AMA’s peak status in the development and implementation of health policy and identifying and acting upon the main issues affecting members.
The quality of the people we employ at AMA is outstanding.
Our team is one of our biggest strengths. Staff are committed, experienced and passionate and come from local, national and international backgrounds. Senior management bring with them significant experience and knowledge, and their goal is to steer AMA toward its Strategic Objectives through to 2017.
What is it like to work at the AMA?
In the 2015 staff survey staff were asked what it is like to work at AMA - below are some direct quotes.
- 'The contribution we make to the profession and the community’
- ‘Great variety of the work’
- ‘Strong leadership’
- ‘The work is interesting and challenging’
- ‘Good pay and conditions – free parking / free coffee’
- ‘The flexibility offered to employees’
- ‘Flexibility in work and family life‘
- ‘Great teamwork’ ‘We have an amazing team’
Performance and Development
All staff benefit from an annual appraisal to recognise achievements, monitor performance and increase the potential of our people. We are committed to providing excellent training and development and we are also proactive in developing our people for the future, ensuring we retain and grow our talent.
Here at AMA our staff enjoy a range of staff benefits including the following:
- Competitive salaries
- An annual review of salaries to ensure AMA’s remain competitive
- Income protection insurance provided to all AMA staff at no cost to the individual
- Reward and recognition of service – we celebrate our long serving staff with a certificate and vouchers
- A Performance Management Programme which feeds into specific Learning and Development Plans
- Free car parking
- Office close down between Christmas and New Year with no requirement for staff to use annual leave
- Free flu shots for all staff
- Teambuilding days/staff away days
- A flexible approach to working hours
- Company paid for events in work time including a monthly morning / afternoon tea, BBQ’s, Melbourne Cup afternoon, Christmas Lunch
- Social events such as charity fun runs, quizzes and cinema visits – we have a very active social committee
- Free tea, milk, sugar and coffee (espresso of course) to keep everyone going!