About the AMA
Leading Australia’s Doctors - Promoting Australia’s Health
The Australian Medical Association (AMA) is the most influential membership organisation representing registered medical practitioners and medical students of Australia.
The AMA exists to promote and protect the professional interests of doctors and the health care needs of patients and communities.
The AMA advocates on behalf of its members at the Federal, and State and Territory levels by:
- working with governments to increase and maintain provision of world class medical care to all Australians
- tracking and reporting government performance on health policy, financing and services
- challenging governments on policy that potentially harms the interests of patients
- leading the health policy debate by developing and promoting alternative policies to those government policies
- providing informed, expert medical commentary on health issues
- responding to issues in the health debate through provision of a wide range of expert resources
- commissioning and conducting research on health issues
Supporting the medical profession
The AMA improves patient care by supporting the medical profession through a range of essential services including:
- protecting the academic, professional, and economic independence of medical practitioners
- protecting the wellbeing of medical practitioners
- promoting and advancing ethical behaviour of the medical profession
- protecting the integrity and independence of the doctor/patient relationship
- preserving and protecting the political, legal and industrial interests of medical practitioners
Code of Ethics
The AMA’s Code of Ethics represents the core of fundamental principles, which should guide doctors in their professional conduct. It covers issues such as respect for patients, standards of care, clinical research and teaching, the dying patient, professional conduct and the doctor’s role in society. The Code is available here.
AMA members can access the AMA constitution here.
The AMA not only advocates for and represents doctors, it also provides an extensive range of member services and benefits that support doctors in their practice, their medical careers and their day to day lives.
Learn more about resources and benefits available to AMA members. Please also refer to State AMAs for additional member benefits and services.