I saw the AMA strongly advocate for the interests of patients, and thought "that's the kind of doctor I want to be." - James Lawler, President AMSA
"Being a part of the AMA, even as a student, makes me feel as if my voice matters." - Rebecca Singer, Medical Student
"I joined the AMA for their invaluable careers advice and their educational workshops." - Peter Lioufas, Medical Student
AMA membership is free for medical students studying in Australia.
Benefits and Resources
The AMA recognises that medical students are the future of medicine. Free AMA Student Membership allows medical students studying in Australia to access a range of member-only benefits and resources:
- UpToDate – discount on individual subscription. Read more
- Qantas Club - discounted membership
- Virgin Australia Lounge - discounted membership
- Hertz - discounts on car hire
AMA Student Members can also get the competitive edge in their career by utilising the AMA’s Careers Advisory Service, providing members with specialist medical careers advice. AMA Student Members can take advantage of discounts on:
- Resume templates, resume development and review sessions
- Cover letter reviews
- Career Assessments
- Practice interview sessions
- One-to-one career coaching
AMA Student Members can access information to assist in their medical career such as the AMA’s Guide to Working Abroad.
Please also refer to your State AMA for additional student benefits and resources.
The AMA represents you on the important issues that affect you now at university and during your future career in medicine. We lobby on behalf of our student members on funding for medical school places, intern and specialty training positions and ensure the adequate provision of work and training places for graduating students.
See some of the AMA’s current activities representing medical students here:
- AMA National Conference Delegates Condemn New Medical School
- Aspiring interns victims of Federation’s flaws
- AMA calls for Community Residency Program
The AMA provides you with opportunities to meet and socialise with other medical students, attend training forums, access mentoring programs and get advice from leaders and influencers.