Proudly sponsored by Family Doctor Week Event Partners
AMA Family Doctor Week highlights the role of GPs – our family doctors – and their value to the community and the health system as they deliver high-quality holistic health care.
Family Doctor Week will run from Sunday 21 July to Saturday 27 July 2019. The theme for this year’s event is Your family doctor and you: partnering for health.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) says Australia has one of the best health systems in the world. Its strength stems from general practice and the pivotal role of the general practitioner. GPs are the first port of call when Australians feel unwell, and GPs manage 90 per cent of the problems they encounter.
Australians already know the benefits of having a regular family doctor, with 83 per cent of the population visiting a GP at least once a year. Ninety three per cent of Australians return to same practice, and 78 per cent of patients have a prefered usual GP. GPs are also the most used and trusted source of child health information.
Events and activities leading up to and during Family Doctor Week will focus on the benefits of having a family doctor and how they partner with patients to help them lead healthier lives, avoid preventable illness, get the right care and improve health outcomes.
The 2019 Family Doctor Week videos are in development. In the meantime the 2018 videos are below:
Your Family Doctor: Here for You
Continuous Care for Better Health
General Practice - A Rewarding Career
Remote GPs are Great GPs
Dr Tony Bartone Welcomes Family Doctor Week 2018
- AMA President's National Press Club Address
- Family Doctor Week 2019 videos
- Daily media releases highlighting general practice themes.
- The Family Doctor Week 2019 poster for general practice clinics – currently in development.
- General practice themed articles in Australian Medicine and the Medical Journal of Australia.
- A general practice special edition in Canberra Doctor, the AMA's news publication for doctors in the Australian Capital Territory.
- ACT AMA will host a dinner for local GPs and publish the annual Directory of Medical Specialists, Allied Health Professionals & General Practitioners with Special Interests. The directory covers practitioners in the ACT and surrounding areas of NSW and is issued free of charge to local GPs.
What is the AMA doing for GPs?
We are a powerful voice for general practice, and are working to ensure that government policies and programs are serving the needs of GPs and their patients. Find out more
How you can help promote Family Doctor Week?
To give this year's AMA Family Doctor Week as much exposure as possible, it would be appreciated if you could include the logo for this year's event on your signature block, for the next couple of months, with a link to the Family Doctor Week 2019 web page.
To add the logo:
- Go to the settings of your email account at the signature block insert the below image.
- It would be appreciated if you could also hyperlink the logo to the Family Doctor Week 2019 web page. To do this highlight the image and click on the link icon to insert the link. The link for the Family Doctor Week 2019 web page is https://ama.com.au/family-doctor-week-2019.
If you have any trouble doing this, please contact us on 02 6270 5400
AMA Family Doctor Logo
To further enhance the concept of the Family Doctor, the AMA is now making available a logo for GP members to use in identifying and promoting themselves to patients as a Family Doctor.
The use of the 2019 AMA Family Doctor Logo is a sign to the community and your medical and health professional colleagues that you provide patient-centred, holistic, and longitudinal medical care.
The logo is only being made available to financial GP and GP Registrar members of the AMA for their individual use. It can be used for website profiles, email signature blocks, and electronic or professional stationery.
GP Network News
AMA Family Doctor Week 2019 Poster
This year's poster is currently in development.